Jill is thirty-something, smart-as-hell, and has a great, dry sense of humor. Trust me, she is one-of-a-kind.
Jill is also like many people in that:
1. She could use a hand in selecting outfits that show off her natural good looks.
2. She’s interested in stepping up her style game but isn’t interested in dropping a lot of money on fancy labels.
3. She’s busy – and she doesn’t want to sink a lot of time into bargain hunting.
Enter the Target Style-Up.
Target has gone through some spikes and slumps in the past ten years, but has been making strides to come back swinging. We brought Jill to Target to test their women’s spring collection, and I think you’ll agree – Target is on point.
Look Number 1: From office to happy hour
Notice the skinny belt – it pulls the outfit together and keeps the profile trim and clean.
1. The tank top looks great tucked in because it creates a pulled-together look.
2. Swap out the black flats for clean, canvas sneakers for a beachy look.
3. Grey, blue, white and black all complement each other. Don’t be afraid to stack multiple tones of each.
Let’s get one thing out of the way. You can wear seersucker before Memorial Day. You can wear white pants before Memorial day. You can wear whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as it looks good.
Here, Jill looks better than good – her seersucker capris pair beautifully with a fresh v-neck tee, without the jacket for a walk in the park, or with the jacket for a walk to the office water-cooler.
Look Number 3: Black and White and Red All Over
* * *
Wear this outfit to a porch party – or just, you know. Wear it on a porch.
What’s disappointing: Mark Twain never said that line about the Bay Area weather.
What’s not disappointing: the foggy evenings here let us wear great later pieces like this double breasted trench-style jacket, all “summer” long.
It’ll keep you warm while you stand in line for ice cream.
Speaking of jackets, this cute Tar-jay jean-jacket costs about a third of what you’d drop on a name-brand, but you’d never know it. It pairs beautifully with a summery dress, adding a touch of bad-assery to the clean-cut foundation. On the left, we paired it with a preppy-stripe sun-dress with a built in string-belt. On the right, we mashed it up with a Maui print dress for the beach-party look – or maybe for the after-beach party.
Look Number 6: Maximum Style
One of my favorite denim-meets-summer outfits combines the denim jacket with a maxi-dress, perfect for slipping over a bathing suit.
We left Target with about a dozen pieces, all for the cost of a single designer item from a fancy department store. And while it’s easy to get excited about the savings, there are a few, other significant benefit of shopping at Target.
1. Sales people help you – and don’t bug you.
Sometimes, when you want to experiment with a new look, it’s nice not to have someone fawning over you and giving their opinion. At Target, you have the space to try things on and leave with whatever you’re happy with.
2. The selection is plentiful but not exhausting
I often feel like department stores are designed to exhaust shoppers and wear down their defenses. At some point, I find myself riding up and down the escalator, unsure of where I’m going.
At Target, everything – from beach casual to classy dresses – are just a few aisles apart.
And if you need a hot pretzel, mid-shopping excursion, they got that, too.
3. Target is Anti-Snob
Some people don’t like to shop because they can sense pretentious, judging eyes from salespeople or from snobby customers. At Target, everyone’s on the same mission: to get good clothes and not spend a ton of money. Nobody is trying to intimidate anyone with a fancy label.
4. Target’s return policy rules
You have THREE MONTHS to return it! And you can return it anywhere. So, take home that Peplum Blazer zip jacket. If you still hate it in 90 days, get your refund and spend it on organic coffee beans. (Yes, they have that, too).
5. There’s one, like, 10 minutes from you.
And if you (and your Target) are in the Bay Area, look me up — maybe I can help you out!
I won’t hold your hand, but I will guard the fitting room door.
Live in the bay area? A Style-up is painless. Maybe even fun. And it might help you land a date / job / both at the same time. Email Me and we’ll get you on your way!
Outside of the Bay Area? Through the miracle of the interwebs, we can arrange an on-line consultation. You’ll end up with a handful of great items, some new looks, and a spring in your step. Click to Email Me.
Want to See More Style-Stories?
- You can read Robin’s Style-Story here,
- Joe’s Style-Story here
- Andrew’s Style-Story here
- Chris’s Style-Story here,
- Jeremy’s Style Story (On a Budget) here,
- Bill’s Style Story here,
- Dan’s Style Story here,
- Julie’s Style-Story (the Dapper Woman), here,
- David’s Style-Story (Beastie Boys meets Oxford Professor),
- Reuben’s Style-Story (Welcome to Your First Grown-Ass Outfit)
- And Paul’s Style-Story (Rugged Yet Refined) Here!